Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Day 3: 92 mi Potlatch WA to Castle Rock WA



"We're doin' it!", a loose reference to Hook, is a phrase I heard and repeated today.  Today was a 90 mi day and we are all pretty tired, but it was an epic day that is stored in the long term memory!

The morning was beautiful. Our campsite was lush. It reminded me of the Endor moon and the morning mist gave it a surreal look as we rolled out of camp.

Lunch was delicious at the 54 mi mark and the rain had just started about 45 minutes before we landed.

I've decided highway mile markers are mixed bag. While we are crusing around 15 mph they are a source of energy as we near our goal. Today after lunch Washington decided to show us what real precipitation is. Every one of the 38 mile markers after lunch were laughing at us as we slogged the remainder of today's journey.

At 18 mi remaining we saw a sign for Castle Rock and the rain let up. The Washington sky after a hard rain is intangible and felt like a sign from the heavens that we would make it.  It started raining again within minutes.

We passed a sign for Lewis and Clark and thought we are kind of like them, except when it rains we can check into a motel. And we did stay at the Motel 7. I couldn't capture a direct photo because the florecents over expose the iPhone CCD, but the shot through the water looked pretty neat.

Motel 7 doesn't have much, but the water is hot and we had a way to charge electronics. My solar panel doesn't charge so well in the rain. 

We had pizza delivered to the laundrymat in town and hung out for a few hours. I wanted to go to the hot springs my dad had found in silver lake, but we were too tired to ride the 6 mi to get there and they don't have a taxi service in town.

We sorted laundry and one of my gloves turned up missing. I'm hoping we find it in the morning as my hands get pretty cold. 

Lastly, for any special ladies, I took a cute picture of Scott asleep. He'll probably kill me, so break the news that he's on the internets lightly. ;)

Tomorrow is an early 80 mi day so we will get a 60 mi rest day on Friday.  Lunch inVancouver, WA tomorrow!









~D
Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment