Monday, September 13, 2010

VYR

Arrived in VYR Saturday morning!  As I walked through the terminal to get to through customs I had to pause at the sweet smells, cool breeze and birds chirping (electronic) at the display.  It's very fresh and welcoming.  As I continued on I saw a sign for Rogers wireless which has "big savings... as big as Texas!", that was hillarious. I was lucky enough to be hosted by my friend Tracy in Burnaby!  Thanks Tracy and Kuma!

Air Canada did a great job keeping my bike in once piece and it is fully assembled and ready for the ride.  Saturday was shopping for the last items, food, fuel, etc.  On the way to dinner I was accosted by a homeless woman who was relentless.  We ate dinner with my Canadian friends and they wished me a safe journey.









Sunday morning I baked some banana bread with Tracy and then headed up to the Grouse Grind for some hiking.  Dave and Matt accompanied me up the mountain on the 3km trek. It was dumping rain on us the entire time, but I was working hard enough that I hardly noticed.  About 3/4 of the way up the paramedics were evacing a 70+ year old man out who had a heart attack on the climb, hope he is ok!  You can see where we stopped to wait for the paramedic team on the Movescount data.

Check out bigcmos's in 1h 14min Trekking Move on 12.9.2010
When we got to the top we ate the banana bread and then destroyed the delicious mountain nachos and a hot chocolate!  Delicious!










As part of the food plan we shopped for the highest caloric foods we could find and decided to go with rice crispy treats.  We calculated that this 2 layer monstrosity has almost 10,000 kCal.  Standard rice crispy mix + chocolate, peanut butter, and butterscotch chips + drizzled caramel on top!  Sliced this into 8 giant pieces and packaged for the road!  Hopefully these won't get consumed too fast.



Scott, Fort and Kevin arrived around 1:30am and we are heading out before 7am to get riding!  We'll be riding our bikes to the ferry and ride through Victoria island on our first day of the ride!

Time to get on the road!

5 comments:

  1. Those rice krispy treats look mighty yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck guys, hope the weather is good to you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Skittles, good luck with the ride!! I hope you said "hola" to Jon's parents while in Victoria. (: We're all waiting for you in Oregon!! <3 Alicia, Jon, Katie, and Phil

    ReplyDelete